Haven for Sailing Enthusiasts
Here‚ the Mediterranean Sea‚ with its many little islands speckled around the coasts of Sicily - The Aeolians‚ Pelagie and Egadi Islands‚ Ustica and Pantelleria - offers exceptional and stunning sceneries‚ scents and flavors of pristine nature for sailing fans.
Last but not least‚ its great volcanoes are symbols of the appealing beauty and vitality of this incredibly charming region. Enchantment for this region grows with treasured archaeological sites that tell the story of the ancient origins of Trinacria (ancient name for Sicily) which can be discovered during your sailing holiday.
Highlights of Sicily
• Taking on Mount Etna: Take half a day off your boat holiday and hike up Europe's largest active volcano‚ Mount Etna‚ and hear it roar and groan as you approach
• Swimming with the fish in Ustica: One of the late Jacques Cousteau's favorite places‚ this protected marine reserve on the island northwest of Palermo lets you get up-close and personal with the fish and allows for exciting archaeological underwater expeditions.
• Watching a Volcanic Eruption from the Sea: Volcanic activity isn't limited to Etna; the Aeolian Islands are known for their fits and spurts now and then‚ especially on Stromboli‚ where the volcano huffs and puffs continuously. Include the Aeolian Islands into your yacht charter holiday and get a bottle of Malvasia and enjoy the show from a boat‚ at dusk.
• Follow the footsteps of Francis Ford Coppola: If you are a “Godfather” fan‚ visit Savoca where the movie was shot and do not miss to stop by the church of St. Lucy where the scene of the wedding between Apollonia and Michael was shot!
• Start the day just like a Sicilian: Begin the day with brioche filled with gelato. Many say the best of the island is found at Noto‚ where you can try the extraordinary flavors like jasmine and thank Sicily's Arab conquerors for this passion
• Bareboat or Skippered: If you are a “good captain”‚ you may prefer bareboat but if you decide to hire a skipper for your yacht charter‚ your experienced skipper will take you the most secluded bays and coves and tell the stories of these places.